We will periodically post some of our favorite recipes, so if you really liked one of our dishes or home made jams, check here to see if one of them is listed. You can also find a couple of our recipes in the Illinois Bed and Breakfast Cookbook.
Kapra’s Banana (Rosemary)(Cinnamon)(Lavender)(Sage) Jam
- 3 c ripe banana pulp pureed
- 4 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 1/3 c fresh lemon juice
- 1 package of pectin
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary, lavender or sage or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Place banana puree in stainless steel pot, add sugar, butter, lemon juice. Mix well; bring to a boil. Add pectin, stirring constantly – bring to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly on bottom to prevent sticking. (I add cinnamon while cooking, other herbs can be added just before sealing.) Remove from heat. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.
Kapra’s Mexican Strata
I developed this recipe from the Illinois B&B cookbook wanting to use “soy” chorizo and potatoes as a vegetarian and gluten-free friendly entrée with some spicier, Mexican flavors for breakfast and have also served it at many a potluck dinner.
- 1 8 x 8 square glass casserole dish
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 c. shredded potato hash browns
- 1 medium zucchini squash, coarsely shredded
- ½ red onion finely chopped
- 3 c shredded Jack/Cheddar cheeses (you can substitute ½ as Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese for more kick)
- 1 pkg “soy” chorizo
- 8 large eggs
- 1 c sour cream
- ½ c milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 jalapeño peppers cut into “rajas” and then finely chopped
- Extra Cheddar cheese to grate
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease bottom and sides of casserole dish with the olive oil. Layer the potatoes on the bottom and sprinkle with salt and pepper; then layer 1 c. shredded cheese; then zucchini and onions; layer one more cup of cheese; then sprinkle soyrizo; layer last cup of cheese as top layer. Mix Eggs, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper to taste. Pour evenly over layered vegetables and sprinkle chopped “rajas” on top. Bake for 45 minutes, if it starts to brown too much, cover with foil and let cook through. Cut into 8 triangle wedges and serve a wedge with generous shavings of cheddar cheese on top. Serves 8
French Toast “a la Morrie”
- Raisin Bread
- 1/2 and 1/2 (1/4 cup for each egg used)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Roasted almonds
- Powdered Sugar
- Combine egg, almond extract, half & half, and a pinch of salt in a flat bowl.
- Immerse the raisin bread in batter.
- Toast in a skillet with butter till brown on both sides.
- Place on plate, add sliced banana, almonds, raspberries.
- Sprinkle powder sugar on top.
- Serve hot.